This is an easy and quick weeknight dinner which is packed with flavor. The chicken is seasoned with cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper. It cooks quickly in a tomato based sauce with olives, apricots and raisins. I served this with a side of curry couscous and steamed green beans.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- salt + fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic peeled + chopped
- 1 onion peeled + sliced
- 2 cup stewed tomatoes chopped (or drained canned italian tomatoes)
- 1 cup mixed green and black olives
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 juice of an orange freshly squeezed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pitted dried raisins
- 1/2 cup dried pitted apricots
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat in a deep, heavy skillet. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, cinnamon & cumin on both sides. Saute the chicken, for approximately 3 – 5 minutes per side, until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add additional tablespoon of oil to pan, if needed and saute garlic and onion for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, olives, tomato paste, orange juice, chicken stock, raisins, apricots and bay leaf to pan and cook, stirring for 2 – 3 minutes bringing to a simmer.
- Add reserved chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, spooning sauce over chicken.
- Cover and braise on a low simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.