I love the flavor of smoked meat especially ribs. My favorite way to prepare ribs is to use the 3-2-1 method. This a fool proof way to have fall off the bone ribs.
Prepping the ribs is your first step. Be sure to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. If you are not sure how to do this you can watch this on a YouTube video here .
Next, I recommend you put a spice rub on the ribs. My favorite rub recipe is here. Pour yellow mustard (yes that is right) on the ribs and spread the spice rub generously all over. Don’t worry about your ribs having a mustard taste as this will dissipate. The mustard acts as an adhesive for the rub to stay on during the smoking process. Once you have applied the rub, let the ribs sit out at room temperature for at least an hour before you begin to smoke them.
Smoke your ribs for 3 hours at a low temperature. I do mine at 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
After 3 hours is up, remove the ribs and spray with a sweet liquid. I usually use apple juice or Dr. Pepper. Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and return to the smoker or to your oven for 2 hours. If you are using your oven, put the wrapped ribs on a cookie sheet and roast them at 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
After they have cooked wrapped for 2 hours, take out the ribs and, remove the aluminum foil. Put the ribs on the bbq on low heat for 1 hour.
Lastly baste them with your BBQ sauce until it is heated. I use a homemade ancho chile and sundried cherry sauce. The recipe is here. Be sure to baste your ribs with lots of sauce. Remove from the grill and serve. Enjoy!
Smoked Ribs with an ancho chile and sundried cherry BBQ sauce
- Smoker or BBQ Grill
- Remove the membrane on the back of the ribs.
- Lather mustard all over the ribs.
- Sprinkle and season the ribs with spice rub.
- Smoke ribs for 3 hours at 225 degrees.
- After 3 hours, remove the ribs and spray with a sweet liquid such as apple juice or Dr. Pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil.
- Put wrapped ribs back in the smoker or in an oven. If using an oven bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours take out ribs. Remove aluminum foil and put the ribs on the grill. Cook these on low heat for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, baste ribs with the BBQ until sauce is heated. Remove, eatl and enjoy!