Have you ever had a cheese blintz? Blintzes are a Jewish rolled pancake filled with cheese or fruit. Traditionally, these are served hot and topped with sour cream. This is a make ahead casserole which is much easier than making individual blintzes. This casserole has a filling of cream cheese and ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla. I serve this with a homemade blueberry sauce on top.
I made this for a brunch and it was a huge success (there were no leftovers). You can prepare this the night before and then put it in the oven the next morning. You can serve this hot or at room temperature.
Baked Cheese Blintz Casserole with Blueberry Sauce
- Electric mixer
- 13 x 9 inch baking dish
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- fresh lemon zest
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat together all filling ingredients. Set Aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In another medium bowl, using the electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and eggs.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and orange juice and beat well.
- Pour half of the batter into a lightly sprayed 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Spoon half the filling on top.
- Pour the remaining batter on top.
- Bake until firm and golden on top, about 50 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with blue berry sauce.
- Combine blueberries, water, lemon juice and zest in a small sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Refrigerate this after it is cooled.