The Peach Truck arrived in Dallas last weekend bringing fresh Georgia peaches. I had never tried a Georgia peach but I knew they had quite the reputation for being very sweet. I bought a 25 lb. carton, 2 bags of Georgia pecans and their cookbook. Those peaches were fantastic and this pie was delicious.
The pie crust recipe I use is here and it is very easy to make as well. This is my favorite crust recipe for both pies and cobblers.
Custard Peach Pie
- Electric mixer
- 1 single pie crust pastry
- 1 cup (8 oz) Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 5 medium size peackes (1 1/2 lbs) or 2 cans of 29 oz peaches, drained
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup butter 1/2 stick = 1/4 cup
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)
ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- Peel and slice peaches and place them over the bottom of the pie crust.
- In a bowl, mix Greek yogurt, flour, egg yolks, vanilla until blended and pour over peaches.
BAKE THE PIE
- Bake Pie for 30 minutes or until custard is beginning to set.
- Meanwhile, make the streusel topping by cutting butter into the flour and then continue until until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.; mix in the sugar.
- After 30 minues, remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle in the streusel over the center of the pie. I added the sliced almonds to the outside edge of the pie.
- Bake for 15 more minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool pie on wire rack for an hour; serve warm.