I have never been good at making a homemade pie crust. I have tried several recipes and it has always been an epic failure. I found this recipe on another blog site (www.picky-palate.com) and it got great reviews. I decided to try one more time to make my own pie crust. I am so glad I tried it as it turned out fantastic. I will never buy another frozen pre-made pie crust again. This was simple and it made the most delicious buttery pie crust which can be used for both sweet and savory pies.
Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Beat on low to combine. Add cold butter, beat until most of the butter is the size of small peas with the flour mixture.
- With the mixer on, slowly add the ice water until dough forms and is combined.Transfer dough to a lightly floured countertop, kneading a couple times to combine.
- Divide dough in half, flatten slightly and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before using.
- When ready to use, roll out round large enough to fit your pie plate. Transfer to pie dish and crimp the edges as desired.
- Using a fork, poke holes at the bottom of pie crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes until baked through and slightly golden.
- Remove and let cool before filling.
- If you are using a pie filling recipe that needs to be baked in the pie crust, then bake it according to that particular recipe. Store dough wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer.