The weather here in Texas is finally cooling down and it is beginning to feel like fall. New crop apples are now available and this is one of my favorite desserts. I usually double the recipe and freeze one for a later date.
If you decide to do this you can prepare the pie (streusel topping included) and freeze the UNBAKED pie. No thawing is required when you decide to bake it. It can go straight from the freezer to the oven. I usually bake it for an additional 10 minutes (75 minutes total if frozen solid).
Caramel Apple Pecan Pie
- Pie Plate
- Pastry for single-crust pie 9 inches
- 7 cups sliced peeled tart apples about 6 medium
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup caramel topping I use caramel ice cream topping
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold butter cubed
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup caramel topping room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll crust to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and vanilla.
- Mix pecans, sugars, cinnamon and cornstarch; add to apples and toss to combine.
- Spread caramel topping onto bottom of crust. Fill with apple mixture. Drizzle with butter.
- For streusel topping, mix flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in pecans. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until filling is bubbly, 65-75 minutes.
- Drizzle with caramel topping.
- Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream and additional caramel topping.