A lemon Ice Box Pie is a no bake classic southern dessert. An ice box dates back to the early 1800’s and is how food was kept cool before electricity and refrigerators were available. These insulated boxes would hold somewhere between 25 to 50 pound of block ice and would last 2-3 days during the summertime.
Granny Davenport’s Lemon Icebox PIe
- 1 9 inch graham cracker crust
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice – I use fresh squeezed lemon juice which is about 5-6 large lemons
- Lemon zest from 2 lemons
- Place the cream cheese into a mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon zest and blend again until the ingredients are fully mixed and do not have any lumps.
- Pour filling into the pie crust and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or until set.
- Top with whipped cream and serve cold.